Whoa! I haven’t posted anything since the end of January! I was away from the farm for almost half of February for a few farm related events like Bayer Ag Issues Forum and Commodity Classic. We’ve still been selling and delivering grain since I last posted. Corn and soybean prices rebounded in February but are down again right now. Our taxes our done, filed, and paid. It’s been below freezing most days, and we’ve seen a fair amount of snow in that time. Today the high is in the low 40s. Next week we are going to see 50s! As the weather changes my pictures will change too, and you are going to get a hint of the changing seasons in this set of photos.
Dad and I spent an hour or so up in the loft to sort through a lot of stuff that was lying around with no home. Some of it got put away while some got thrown away. It’s nice to purge old junk and parts you don’t need anymore.
Grandpa and I hauled two loads of waxy corn early in the week. Here I’m unloading my load and Grandpa is walking back to his truck.
Girls in the probe shack asked who is driving the next truck. I said, "Grandpa." They said, "Aw, he's cute." What about me?
— Brian Scott (@thefarmerslife) March 5, 2015
Bin 3 was cleaned out this week. After I took this picture we climbed in to set up the electric sweep auger. When the grain gets low enough in a bin gravity flow to the center sump stops, and that is where man power and auger power come into play. Boucher Farms has a nice YouTube time-lapse of this process. I’ll have to do one of my own someday!
The Heat is Off
The boiler which heats our floors in the shop and office stopped heating late this week. We kept the chill out of the office for a day with an electric heater. The installer provided the fix in a short amount of time and we were back to normal. We built this shop 5 years ago, and this is the first problem we’ve had with the system. All it really needed was some routine maintenance we had failed to do ourselves. Now we know!
The reverse lights on one of our trailers quit working so we started chasing wires. Grandpa found some corrosion here, and when I cleaned up the terminals I found one about to fall off. I trimmed that wire back and put on a new terminal. We haven’t found our backup light problem yet so we’ll have to keep searching.
Prepping for Planting
The final task of the week was hitching the planter up to the 8360R. This was the first time these two pieces of equipment have been in contact. Our 8420 was traded at the end of 2014 so this tractor will now take on the additional task of planter tractor. We have plans for this planter in the very near future so you better check back for a post on that!